Below you’ll find some of the key applications and forms you’ll need to join The First Church of Christ, Scientist.
I want to…
Applications for membership are welcome now. The next admission of new members will take place on May 31, 2019. Completed forms for the next admission must reach the Clerk no later than May 29. But there's no need to wait! Applications can be sent in as soon as complete. As you are considering membership, you'll want to review the platform of Christian Science found in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy (pp. 330-340). You may also want to review the Tenets of The Mother Church and "Qualifications for membership" in the Church Manual (pp. 15 and 34).
Determine which application form to use
- If you have been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, use Form 1 (below).
- If you have not been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, use Form 2 (below)
- If you have been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, but your teacher will not be signing your application, use the Online Form.
Print the form
- Download and print the correct form below. The form is two pages; feel free to print it double-sided on a single sheet.
- If you prefer to use the online application, you will still need to print the form once completed, and mail it to the Office of the Clerk.
- To receive an application by mail, email email@example.com or call 1-617-450-3481.
Complete the form
- Sign your name to the Tenets.
- Complete the name and address section—please write legibly.
- Have the appropriate Church members approve and/or countersign the form. The countersigner must be a teacher of Christian Science (C.S.B.) authorized by the Board of Education.
- If you are under legal age in your country, ask a parent or guardian to sign the permission section of the form.
Get approval signatures
- Form 1: Your teacher will sign the application and send it to the Clerk of The Mother Church. NOTE: No additional signature is required.
- Form 2: A member of The Mother Church must approve the application and sign the form, then the member will give your application to a Christian Science teacher to countersign and send to the Clerk of The Mother Church. NOTE: If a Christian Science teacher signs as the member, there is no need for an additional signature.
- Special Form: Note: The special form should be signed in compliance with the Church Manual By-Law Article V, Section 4, Exceptional Cases.
Mail the form to the following address:
The First Church of Christ, Scientist Membership, P06-10
210 Massachusetts Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-3195
After we receive the form
- We will send you an email or a letter letting you know we have received your application.
- If the application is incomplete, we will write to let you know what is missing.
- There have been instances when mail has been delayed or lost. If you have submitted an application but have not heard from us within a month, please follow up to be sure we have received it.
- If you move after you send in your application but before you are admitted, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear Fellow Members of The Mother Church,
Warm greetings from the sunny south of India! It is my special privilege as President to be writing to you, to remind you of the love and support of our dear Mother Church for you as you let your light shine in your corner of the world.
As we continue to fulfill our individual and collective mission to heal and save the world, we can all keep working to bring our personal lives and our church experience into alignment with God’s law of harmony. And if at times we are tempted to feel overwhelmed by this demand, let’s remember: “... this infinite Principle hath infinite claims on man, and these claims are divine, not human; and man’s ability to meet them is from God; ...” (Mary Baker Eddy, Miscellaneous Writings 1883–1896, p. 16).
Today it would seem that the evils of violence and hatred confront us at every turn. Yet the darker it looks, the more our church services, Reading Rooms, periodicals, and lectures are needed to present hope and prayer-based solutions. The Christian Science Monitor brings daily perspective that can lead to the world being safer, freer, and more just.
Undergirding all of this is our Pastor—the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures—and the Church Manual, strengthening our understanding of Christian Science and supporting our demonstration of it through healing. Thank you for all you are doing for the Cause of Christian Science—for your prayers, your love, your healing work, and all the ways you give to The Mother Church, including through your per capita tax payment/contribution.
With love and gratitude for each one of you,
Annu Matthai, President
Planned giving is a way of providing for a gift to the Church that uses tax, financial and estate planning techniques to enable a gift commitment to the Church that may also, in the United States, provide tax and financial benefits for the donor.
To us, the application process has less to do with filling out a form, and so much more to do with preparation of the heart. You may have questions, and if you do, please be in touch with us at email@example.com. When you're ready to move forward, we'll be delighted to receive your application. Once we've received your application, our manager of Christian Science Practitioner Activities, Connie Coddington, will send you a follow-up e-mail, highlighting some of the Manual by-laws that practitioners have found indispensable to their healing ministry. Soon thereafter, she'll set up a telephone interview in order to get to know you and your sense of the healing practice of Christian Science. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd be happy to hear from you!
Like anyone else who has witnessed or been a part of a healing through Christian Science, we rejoice whenever we hear about someone who is interested in joining with those engaged in supporting others in this vital work. Nothing is more needed in our world today than the powerful, practical healing that Christian Science offers. Becoming a Journal-listed Christian Science nurse adds your name to the ranks of those whose devotion to God and commitment to healing overflows in inspired, practical acts of caring. The world needs and feels the transforming power of this Christly love!
We're here to support you every step of the way as you respond to this calling of the Christ. We cherish your willingness to let the love of the Comforter find tangible expression in your Christian Science nursing ministry. The application process has less to do with filling out a form, and so much more about a "preparation of the heart".
Speaking to each one of us, Mary Baker Eddy writes: "I make strong demands on love, call for active witnesses to prove it, and noble sacrifices and grand achievements as its results. ... Love cannot be a mere abstraction, or goodness without activity and power." (Miscellaneous Writings, p. 250). Thank you for your daily prayer to be an active witness to the power and presence of divine Love, and for the steps this prayer has led you to take to be prepared for advertising in The Christian Science Journal.
We look forward to hearing from you and learning more about how you've prepared for this important next step.
You will find the application form below, which you can easily fill out online and submit. You will be contacted during the review process of the application, but you’re welcome to be in touch with us at any time (see email address below).
Christian Science Nursing Activities
210 Massachusetts Ave P07-10
Boston MA 02115
If you’d like to submit to advertise in The Christian Science Journal as a Christian Science nurse, please use the electronic form (English only) on the linked page below.
If you’d like to submit to advertise in The Christian Science Journal as a Christian Science nurse in a language other than English, please use one of the forms below. [The online application process for languages (other than English) will follow shortly.]
- Step 1: Open and save form to your computer.
- Step 2: Complete form and save again.
- Step 3: Submit as email attachment to email@example.com [or print it out and return by mail].
As Mother Church employees have traveled the world meeting with members, one interesting thing they’ve learned is that in some countries people may be asked to provide evidence of baptism in order to participate in certain public activities, such as voting or school attendance. Since baptism has an important and specific meaning to the teachings of Christian Science, we've offered an example of such a statement below.
—Margaret Rogers, Clerk of The Mother Church
To get a form
If your branch church or society wants a form without a Cross and Crown, please use the copy at the bottom to create the form.
If your branch church wants a form with the Cross and Crown on it, email Trademark@csps.com. Forms are available in English, French, German, Spanish, and Portuguese. You are free to make minor edits. If you make significant changes, please send the final version to Trademark@csps.com for review. The Mother Church needs to know how the Cross and Crown is being used as it is a Church trademark.
Sample with Cross and Crown (copy is below)
Statement of baptism
PEOPLE PRACTICE BAPTISM in many ways. The outward symbol of immersion in water tells of an inward desire for purification. Christian Scientists emphasize the meaning behind a Christian symbol more than the outward practice of a symbolic act. They practice baptism daily by studying the Word of God and living their lives in a way that give evidence they are being bathed in Spirit and thus cleansed of sin.
I state that I, [name], have accepted baptism as taught and practiced by Christian Science.
I state that, [name of clerk of branch church or society], has acknowledged my acceptance of baptism as defined in the Christian Science textbook:
“Purification by Spirit; submergence in Spirit.”
(Mary Baker Eddy, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p. 581).
Signed, [clerk of the branch church or society]