The bells are played by musicians who are members of The Mother Church. You can hear chiming ringing out over the Plaza at the following times:
Christmas chiming: 12:00 p.m. daily, December 18-23, hear the church bells play Christmas carols and hymns
9:30 a.m. on Sundays, for 15-20 minutes, before our 10:00 a.m. church service
7:00 p.m. on Wednesdays, for 15-20 minutes, before the 7:30 p.m. testimony meeting
Special concerts, as announced
Mother Church has had bells in the Church’s towers for well over a century. A chime of fifteen tubular bells, founded by the United States Tubular Bell Company of Methuen, Massachusetts, was installed in the bell tower of the Original Edifice of The Mother Church in 1894. A decade later, in 1906, a chime of eleven bells (later expanded to thirteen), founded by the Meneely Bell Company of Troy, New York, was installed in the cupola of the Extension of The Mother Church. This set was used until 1984, when a new chime of eighteen bells, founded by Royal Eijsbouts of Asten, in the Netherlands, was installed in the bell tower of the Original Edifice.
There are two organs built by the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company of Boston at The Mother Church: one in the Original Edifice and one in the large-domed Extension of The Mother Church. The organ in the Extension is one of the largest in the world with a total of 13,384 pipes, ranging from the size of a pencil to 32 feet in length. It is played from the four-manual console located in front of the platform.