How to get permission to use the Cross and Crown trademark
The Christian Science Board of Directors of The Mother Church is happy to accept requests for permission to use the Cross and Crown trademark from branch churches and societies of The Mother Church, Christian Science teachers and lecturers, Christian Science college and university organizations, and Committees on Publication. The Cross and Crown is a registered trademark of the Christian Science Board of Directors and has long been used on Mary Baker Eddy’s writings and the Christian Science periodicals to indicate The Mother Church as the authentic source of these products. As the Cross and Crown trademark is expanded and more widely used through licensing, we expect the public will become increasingly aware of it as a visual identifier of genuine Christian Science services offered in local communities by the Mother Church and its branches and other associated activities.
- It is important that the Christian Science Board of Directors grant permission for all uses of the Cross and Crown design in order to protect the trademark legally. You must request and be granted permission for each separate use of the Cross and Crown.
- The Cross and Crown is available for licensing only to branch churches and societies of The Mother Church, Christian Science teachers and lecturers, Christian Science college and university organizations, and individuals appointed as state or national Committees on Publication.
- In order to make a request, please see How to Make a Request below.
- A sample image of the Cross and Crown design is available to download and use in your design mock-up. In your final product, you are required to use the authorized version of the trademark design, which we will provide to you upon approval of your licensing request.
- Licensing requests may take up to 3-5 weeks to be approved. There is an administrative fee for each type of use (see Fee Schedule below).
- The Cross and Crown design is available in these languages: English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
Please use our online request form along with a mock-up of your proposed project
online request form
Or download and complete a paper Form, and send it along with a mock-up of your proposed project:
Email or mail to:
The First Church of Christ, Scientist
210 Massachusetts Avenue, P03-10
Boston, MA 02115-3195
You may use the following sample Cross and Crown design in your mock-up:
Upon approval of your license request, we will provide the appropriate graphic file of the authorized version of the trademark design to use in your final product.
Please allow 3 to 5 weeks for processing your license request and mock-up. If your request is approved, you'll receive a license agreement and the digital artwork for the official Cross and Crown design for your project. Please sign and return the license agreement to us. You will receive an email invoice with instructions on how to pay the license fee. Upon completion of your project, please send a photo of your finished product, which must substantially conform to your licensed request, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Generally, the following types of uses receive approval:
- Exterior branch church, society, or Reading Room signs, windows or doors
- Reading Room interior signs or walls
- Advertisements for branch or college organization services, meetings, or lectures (e.g., newspaper, flyers, billboard)
- Branch church or society membership applications, brochures, stationery, newsletters, emails, or websites
Please keep in mind the following rules for using the trademark:
- Use the Cross and Crown design in the form provided to you.
- You may change the size of the trademark to match your proposed use, as long as the proportion and elements of the design are not altered, removed, or distorted and the words remain legible.
- You may also change the color to any single color. Multiple colors are not permitted.
- The following Cross and Crown translations are currently available upon request: English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. Please do not remove the words from the concentric circles or translate them into other languages.
- The design may not be depicted with any type of motion or animation online.
- Use of the Cross and Crown design as a website favicon is not authorized.
- Unless otherwise permitted by us, the trademark notice (® or TM) must remain visible and in place as it appears in the official design provided.
- If you need to change your project design or use for any reason, either during the licensing process or after a license is issued, please contact us as soon as possible. Such changes require approval, and in some cases a new application will be required.
- If your church disbands, please notify the Trademark Administrator, so that the license may be terminated and all uses of the trademark discontinued.
To help defray costs associated with this permission process, Cross & Crown license fees are as follows:
USD $250 per use for each of the following:
- Exterior branch church, society, or Reading Room signs ($250)
- Long-term large format advertisements (one year in duration or longer), e.g., billboards, airport kiosks ($250)
USD $150 for the following:
Special "Reading Room kit" of artwork that is customizable to include contact information for your local Reading Room. You will receive a set of electronic files to take to your local vendor for production. The kit includes templates for the following:
- Business cards
- Name badges
The bookmark included in this kit has a reverse side that can be customized to include a picture of your Reading Room and a map of its location. This kit is not available to order through CDS or the wholesale shopping cart. To purchase this kit please contact email@example.com.
USD $100 per use for each of the following:
- Reading Room interior signs, windows or walls
- Branch church or society membership applications
- Branch church or society brochures
- Branch church or society stationery or emails
- Branch church or society newsletters
- Branch church or society websites
- Short-term large format advertisements (less than one year in duration), e.g., lecture banners, buses
- Name badges for Reading Room staff or church ushers
USD $50 per use for the following:
- Advertisements for church services and lectures, per ad design in any media, unlimited runs.
- Advertising related to special events must be approved individually and requires separate fees.
Discounted fees for multiple uses:
- If a branch makes simultaneous requests for several uses of the trademark, the fees may be reduced. Please contact us for more information.
For your convenience, you can download and share (up to 100) copies of the following articles about the licensed use of the trademark.
- “Limited Licensing of the Cross and Crown Seal” — The Christian Science Journal (January 2007) p. 14
- “Update: Limited Licensing of the Cross and Crown Seal” — The Christian Science Journal (September 2007) p. 16-17
- “Extending the global reach of the Cross and Crown” — The Christian Science Journal (October 2008) p.62-63
- All Cross and Crown license requests and questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a trademark agent wishing to contact the Christian Science Board of Directors of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, or The Christian Science Publishing Society, please send your inquiry to email@example.com.
Effective: March 3, 2017Banner image: © Digital Vision/Photodisc/ThinkStock