Good health is vital whether we’re talking about our bodies, relationships, finances, or environment. What can we do when we feel the need for healing in any area of our lives?
The Bible gives us a standard of healing resting on timeless and universal spiritual laws. By understanding the complete goodness of God and our inseparability from that goodness, inspired men and women found answers to the wide spectrum of human needs as well as transformation of character and lives. These experiences were “not supernatural but supremely natural,” (Science and Health, p. xi) as Christian Science explains. Anyone can learn and apply these spiritually scientific ideas to the contemporary demands we face and find resolution that proves God’s goodness.
In the New Testament, Jesus says, “Whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these…" (John 14:12, New International Version). Christian Scientists fully accept and believe this promise of Jesus. By following his teachings and understanding the spiritual laws he practiced, they are committed to spiritual healing that includes both physical cures of disease and dysfunction as well as the reformation and restoration of lives. Mary Baker Eddy’s work Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures shows how the healings in the Bible were accomplished, and how we can claim that same healing for ourselves, our families, and our world.
This unique approach to healing has proven effective for generations of Christian Scientists, many times after a medical diagnosis indicated a condition was incurable. Christian Science healing is not faith healing, positive thinking, or self-hypnosis. It calls for Christian faith in and understanding of God as unconditionally and dependably good, to whom nothing is impossible. Its practice is Christian—living according to Jesus’ teaching and example. And its practice is scientific—living according to the spiritual laws of God that can be learned, understood, and proven through healing and regeneration.
Christian Scientists are always free to choose for themselves and their families the kind of health care that meets their needs. However, by practicing Christian Science, many have lived happy and healthy lives free of drugs and other systems of physical care.
Find out more about healing
There are many ways to explore Christian Science healing and many people available to help.
- Read or listen to Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy for the full explanation of Christian Science healing.
- Hear the experiences of others who have been healed of all types of problems.
- Read and listen to over a century of documented Christian Science healings on JSH-Online.
- Attend a Sunday or Wednesday Christian Science church service.
- Visit a local Christian Science Reading Room to ask questions, browse Christian Science resources, and find a quiet place to read and pray.
- Contact a Christian Science practitioner. Practitioners are men and women around the globe dedicating their lives to Christian healing. They provide spiritual help that results in healing of all types of difficulties—physical, emotional, relationship, financial.
- Call for help from a Christian Science nurse. These individuals help foster a healing atmosphere and provide skilled and experienced physical assistance to those who are pursuing healing through Christian Science.
- Learn how to become an effective Christian Science healer by taking Primary class instruction.