Find answers to your questions, resources, and support for those serving as Reading Room librarians.
Thank you for your service in your local Reading Room. These pages are designed to help you find answers to questions concerning the operation of your Reading Room. They will be updated regularly, so be sure to bookmark the page and come back often.
Local Christian Science Reading Rooms offer church members, newcomers, seekers, and all visitors a welcoming place to find spiritual nourishment, comfort, and healing during the week. Reading Rooms are an essential element of branch church activity that reaches human consciousness with the joyful message of practical, scientific Christianity.
Reading Rooms exemplify the purpose of church to welcome, comfort, and heal. Everyone seeking Truth may find answers through the products available, including the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.
In Miscellaneous Writings, Mary Baker Eddy writes, “Pure Mind gives out an atmosphere that heals and saves.” (260:25-26)
What's in a Reading Room?
Reading Rooms are stocked with literature authorized and sold by the Christian Science Publishing Society, including the complete writings of Mary Baker Eddy. This literature includes:
- The Bible
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures
- The Christian Science Quarterly
- The Christian Science Monitor
- The Christian Science Journal
- Christian Science Sentinel
- Heralds of Christian Science
Reading Room visitors will also find friendly staff members who are happy to answer questions and quiet areas to read, study, and pray. Some Reading Rooms host events that may include reading the Christian Science Bible Lesson, listening to audio programming from the Publishing Society, and reading from the Bible or other Bible study.
What about billing?
Reading Rooms receive a monthly billing statement that will list all activity for the month, including product and continuity orders, payments, and credits. The account number on the statement is the billing account number and should be the only account number used to place orders or submit payments. (When submitting a check for payment, please include your account number on the check.)
Monthly billing statements are pulled the first Monday following the 20th of each month and are mailed the following week. Statements are usually received the first week of the following month for the US and the second week of the following month internationally. This time frame could vary depending on Postal conditions at the time the statements are mailed. If you don’t receive your statement by the 15th of the following month, please do let us know. Should you have any questions about your account, please don't hesitate to be in touch with us at 1-800-877-8400 US/Can (+1-515-362-7463) International) or CSRRcustserv@cdsfulfillment.com.
- Review what Mary Baker Eddy says in the Manual about Reading Rooms.
- Actively support the work of the Reading Room through prayer. Defend the healing and pure atmosphere of the Reading Room. Challenge impositions in thought about this work and invite other Reading Room attendants to do the same.
- Be prepared to welcome members of your community. Need some tips on talking with others about Christian Science? Check out our webinar on this topic.
- Stay informed:
- Meet your community's thought through your displays. See what kinds of things are already available for you in the Promotional Materials area of the Reading Room Wholesale Shop.
- Take a look around and determine if there are things in your Reading Room which need to be refreshed.
The “All Things Reading Room” Google Group is a great way for Reading Rooms to communicate with each other on a variety of topics including inspiration, inventory, and serving the community. This is a private group to protect the members and their conversations, so first-time visitors will need to apply to join. Permission will be granted shortly after the request is received.
- Join the group with a personal or church gmail address.
- If you do not have a gmail.com email address and do not want one, you need to create a Google account with your non-gmail email address.
- Hint: check to see if your church already uses a non-gmail account to participate in “All Things Reading Room.”
- Note: If you don’t create a Google account with your non-gmail email address, you will be able to see email communications from the group, but you will not be able to participate in any of the discussions or access the group itself. Also, your replies or questions to the group will not be visible.
Joining the conversation
- Posting and reading threads is very easy. It’s just like writing and reading email.
- Posts are visible to all group members.
- Responses can be sent to everyone (reply to the post directly on the board) or to the individual poster (use the reply button).
- Attachments including documents and photos can be added to a post.
- Group members can control how frequently they receive messages.
Check out the webinar tutorial for more tips and and instructions.
What’s the best way to get started? This webinar offers some helpful ideas and tips.
Free promotional materials
- You’ll find free resources like flyers, posters, banners, and magazine covers in the Reading Room Wholesale Shop.
- You can also view a searchable list of promotional products available in the Wholesale Shop.
- Book cover artwork requests
- Approved Providers (“Providers”) are individuals or companies who have been approved by The Mother Church and The Christian Science Publishing Society to supply display materials to Reading Rooms.
- Original images posted on Provider websites have been reviewed and approved by TMC and CSPS.
- Providers may also provide printing services for promotional materials from the online CSPS Reading Room Wholesale Shop.
- Christian Science branch churches and Reading Rooms may request custom “one-off” designs from Providers, in accordance with TMC/CSPS display guidelines.
- To inquire about applying to become an Approved Provider, or if you have questions about this program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will update this page from time to time to reflect recent changes to the list of Providers. Currently Approved Providers are:
Display tips and techniques
- Communicate the value of Christian Science literature in a way that connects with your community.
- Respond to your community by offering ideas and themes they can identify with—present solutions to real needs.
- Capture attention and lead people to come inside, rather than just instruct or entertain.
- Create an open and inviting space for passersby to see into the room.
- Coordinate signage: inside displays should connect to and reinforce exterior displays.
- Double your displays for back-to-front, 360-degree presentation.
- Create materials with bold color, large text, and a variety of patterns, shapes, and sizes.
- Make sure your display complies with legal guidelines from The Mother Church and Christian Science Publishing Society.
Learn more about how you can use the Cross and Crown trademark logo on your church or Reading Room
request usage of the Cross and Crown