Becoming a member of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, signals one’s heartfelt desire to practice Christian healing and to share its moral, physical, and spiritual benefits with the wider world. In many ways, membership enlarges the understanding and application of Christian Science that brings healing to the individual and community.
Members of The Mother Church come from all walks of life and from more than 130 countries. Mother Church members can also join a local branch church, society, or informal group in more than 65 countries around the world, finding strength and joy in collective worship and in responding together to humanity’s search for spiritual understanding and healing.
The Mother Church extends a loving welcome to all former or inactive members. We’d love to hear from you.
A warm welcome to you from The Mother Church, whether you consider yourself an inactive, an active, or a former member. The Mother Church holds a permanent, unconditional love for all who are currently active or inactive members.
A fairly common situation is where individuals feel uncertain about their membership—they may have joined when they were in Sunday School, drifted away later, and don’t remember if they joined The Mother Church or if they are still a member. It is easy to find out if you are a member. Please email Clerk@christianscience.com and include your name, address, phone, number, and member number (if you have it). Just ask the Office of the Clerk to verify you are a member and if we have your correct contact information. If your name has changed, it is helpful to include your former name too. We’ll get back to you soon.
Another occasional question is what happens if someone hasn’t paid the Per Capita Tax. He or she remains a member in good standing.
You are lovingly invited to watch the webcast of Annual Meeting. You can find helpful information on ChristianScience.com. If you have any other questions, feel free to send them to Clerk@christianscience.com.
Church is members working together. It continually changes. I’m sure you’ll find today’s Mother Church is moving forward in its expression of love and care for members and for humanity.
Clerk of The Mother Church
Applications for membership are welcome now. The next admission of new members will take place on November 2, 2018. Completed forms for the next admission must reach the Clerk no later than October 31. But there's no need to wait! Applications can be sent in as soon as complete.
As you are considering membership, you'll want to review the platform of Christian Science found in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy (pp. 330-340). You will also need to review the Tenets of The Mother Church and "Qualifications for membership" in the Church Manual (pp. 15 and 34).
Determine which application form to use
- If you have been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, use Form 1 (below).
- If you have not been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, use Form 2 (below)
- If you have been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, but your teacher will not be signing your application, use the special online form.
Print the form
- Download and print the correct form below. The form is two pages; feel free to print it double-sided on a single sheet.
- If you prefer to use the online application, you will still need to print the form once completed, and mail it to the Office of the Clerk.
- To receive an application by mail, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-617-450-3481.
Complete the form
- Sign your name to the Tenets.
- Complete the name and address section—please write legibly.
- Have the appropriate Church members approve and/or countersign the form. The countersigner must be a teacher of Christian Science (C.S.B.) authorized by the Board of Education.
- If you are under legal age in your country, ask a parent or guardian to sign the permission section of the form.
Get approval signatures
- Form 1: Your teacher will sign the application and send it to the Clerk of The Mother Church. NOTE: No additional signature is required.
- Form 2: A member of The Mother Church must approve the application and sign the form, then the member will give your application to a Christian Science teacher to countersign and send to the Clerk of The Mother Church. NOTE: If a Christian Science teacher signs as the member, there is no need for an additional signature.
- Special Form: Note: The special form should be signed in compliance with the Church Manual By-Law Article V, Section 4, Exceptional Cases.
Mail the form to the following address:
The First Church of Christ, Scientist
210 Massachusetts Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-3195
After we receive the form
- We will send you an email or a letter letting you know we have received your application.
- If the application is incomplete, we will write to let you know what is missing.
- There have been instances when mail has been delayed or lost. If you have submitted an application but have not heard from us within a month, please follow up to be sure we have received it.
- If you move after you send in your application but before you are admitted, please email email@example.com.
The next admission of new members will take place on November 2, 2018. Completed application forms must reach the Clerk no later than October 31. Please send your application as soon as it's complete.
- Click on DOWNLOAD for a PDF ﬁle of the ﬂyer you would like to print.
- Open the PDF. If you are unable to open the PDF, visit this link to download Adobe Acrobat Reader to open PDF’s: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Print on corresponding paper size (letter: 8.5x11”) at 100% scale.
- Trim in half (2-UP) or in thirds (3-UP).
Information for print service:
File type: Adobe PDF Colors: CMYK
Size: Letter Print one-sided
Trim in half (2-UP) or in thirds (3-UP)