I grew up in a family in which Christian Science was at the heart. The Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy became like good friends and from them I learned how to pray. The foundation of effective prayer is an understanding of God’s nature and of one’s relationship to God, and on this basis I found that prayer is a natural and gentle way to take care of one’s health and activities. This gave me a great sense of security and so when I left home and went to university to study politics I made the decision to keep Christian Science at the centre of my life. I am so glad that I did! In my studies, in business and in bringing up a family of three children I have found its teachings invaluable.
For me, the most wonderful thing that Mary Baker Eddy has given mankind through Christian Science is an explanation of God which is accessible and meaningful to people from all backgrounds and with diverse interests. I have always loved exploring ideas about the role of God in our lives — with young people in Sunday School and with the public through my work as a Christian Science practitioner and teacher, as a prison chaplain and as Committee on Publication for Gloucestershire.
The needs of humanity haven’t really changed since Bible times and one of the greatest today remains the need for mental peace and security. Good health, good relationships and a good life follow from that. I would like lecture audiences to know that they can find whatever they need to establish these through understanding God and how He works in their lives.
Titles of Available Lectures
Love—the healing answer to prayer
This lecture explains the perspective that Christian Science brings to prayer and its healing potential, putting prayer at the forefront of progress for individuals and communities in the 21st century.
- It traces Mary Baker Eddy’s love for God and for mankind from childhood and on to her discovery of the divine healing Principle, the Comforter that Christ Jesus promised.
- It explores some essentials for effective prayer that are brought to light in the Lord’s Prayer and in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.
- It answers the question, ‘What does prayer have to do with science or health?’
- Through examples of healing it describes the transforming effect on people’s lives of prayer that is based on understanding God’s nature as divine Love.
God is working for good in your life
This lecture takes the audience on a journey of spiritual discovery to explore the different aspects of God and to see how these work for good in individual lives. For example, it shows how God’s nature as divine Love gives us the love we need to sustain good relationships.
- It gives a perspective on effective prayer as spiritual reasoning which starts with understanding God’s nature and the relationship of God to each one of us.
- It explains and illustrates with examples, the method of healing through prayer in Christian Science.
- It outlines how Mary Baker Eddy made the life-changing discovery of Christian Science through deep study of the Bible, and the inspiration through which she presented it in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.