Find answers to your questions, resources, and support for those serving as Reading Room librarians.
Thank you for your service in your local Reading Room. These pages are designed to help you find answers to questions concerning the operation of your Reading Room. They will be updated regularly, so be sure to bookmark the page and come back often.
Local Christian Science Reading Rooms offer church members, newcomers, seekers, and all visitors a welcoming place to find spiritual nourishment, comfort, and healing during the week. Reading Rooms are an essential element of branch church activity that reaches human consciousness with the joyful message of practical, scientific Christianity.
Reading Rooms exemplify the purpose of church to welcome, comfort, and heal. Everyone seeking Truth may find answers through the products available, including the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.
In Miscellaneous Writings, Mary Baker Eddy writes, “Pure Mind gives out an atmosphere that heals and saves.” (260:25-26)
What's in a Reading Room?
Reading Rooms are stocked with literature authorized and sold by the Christian Science Publishing Society, including the complete writings of Mary Baker Eddy. This literature includes:
- The Bible
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures
- The Christian Science Quarterly
- The Christian Science Monitor
- The Christian Science Journal
- Christian Science Sentinel
- Heralds of Christian Science
Reading Room visitors will also find friendly staff members who are happy to answer questions and quiet areas to read, study, and pray. Some Reading Rooms host events that may include reading the Christian Science Bible Lesson, listening to audio programming from the Publishing Society, and reading from the Bible or other Bible study.
What about billing?
Reading Rooms receive a monthly invoice that lists everything that has been ordered during the previous month, and shows any payment credits. The account number on the statement is the one your Reading Room will use to place orders, and should be included on all payments towards the balance due. These statements also show your Reading Room’s continuity orders for the magazines you will sell. Reading Rooms can order product on credit and remit payment following the receipt of the monthly invoice. Invoices are pulled the first Monday following the 20th of each month and are mailed the following week. (This means you will usually receive your invoice the fourth week of the month.) If you don’t receive it or would like another copy, please be in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the past month’s invoice may not be immediately available.
- Review what Mary Baker Eddy says in the Manual about Reading Rooms.
- Actively support the work of the Reading Room through prayer. Defend the healing and pure atmosphere of the Reading Room. Challenge impositions in thought about this work and invite other Reading Room attendants to do the same.
- Be prepared to welcome members of your community. Need some tips on talking with others about Christian Science? Check out our webinar on this topic.
- Stay informed:
- Meet your community's thought through your displays. See what kinds of things are already available for you in the Promotional Materials area of the Reading Room Wholesale Shop.
- Take a look around and determine if there are things in your Reading Room which need to be refreshed.
The “All Things Reading Room” Google Group is a great way for Reading Rooms to communicate with each other on a variety of topics including inspiration, inventory, and serving the community. This is a private group to protect the members and their conversations, so first-time visitors will need to apply to join. Permission will be granted shortly after the request is received.
- Join the group with a personal or church gmail address.
- If you do not have a gmail.com email address and do not want one, you need to create a Google account with your non-gmail email address.
- Hint: check to see if your church already uses a non-gmail account to participate in “All Things Reading Room.”
- Note: If you don’t create a Google account with your non-gmail email address, you will be able to see email communications from the group, but you will not be able to participate in any of the discussions or access the group itself. Also, your replies or questions to the group will not be visible.
Joining the conversation
- Posting and reading threads is very easy. It’s just like writing and reading email.
- Posts are visible to all group members.
- Responses can be sent to everyone (reply to the post directly on the board) or to the individual poster (use the reply button).
- Attachments including documents and photos can be added to a post.
- Group members can control how frequently they receive messages.
Check out the webinar tutorial for more tips and and instructions.
Webinar: Prayer and Reading Rooms
What’s the best way to get started? This webinar offers some helpful ideas and tips.
Free promotional materials
- You’ll find free resources like flyers, posters, banners, and magazine covers in the Reading Room Wholesale Shop.
- You can also view a searchable list of promotional products available in the Wholesale Shop.
Display tips and techniques
- Communicate the value of Christian Science literature in a way that connects with your community.
- Respond to your community by offering ideas and themes they can identify with—present solutions to real needs.
- Capture attention and lead people to come inside, rather than just instruct or entertain.
- Create an open and inviting space for passersby to see into the room.
- Coordinate signage: inside displays should connect to and reinforce exterior displays.
- Double your displays for back-to-front, 360-degree presentation.
- Create materials with bold color, large text, and a variety of patterns, shapes, and sizes.
- Make sure your display complies with legal guidelines from The Mother Church and Christian Science Publishing Society.
Bible Lesson licensing program
Contact us about selling hard copies of myBibleLesson and eBibleLesson in your Reading Room through this special licensing program.
Webinar: Social media and Reading Room activities
Learn more about how you can use the Cross and Crown trademark logo on your church or Reading Room
request usage of the Cross and Crown