Below you’ll find some of the key applications and forms you’ll need to join The First Church of Christ, Scientist.
I want to…
Applications for membership are welcome now. The next admission of new members will take place on June 2, 2017. Completed forms for the next admission must reach the Clerk no later than May 31. But there's no need to wait! Applications can be sent in as soon as complete.As you are considering membership, you'll want to review the platform of Christian Science found in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy (pp. 330-340). You may also want to review the Tenets of The Mother Church and "Qualifications for membership" in the Church Manual (pp. 15 and 34).
Determine which application form to use
- If you have been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, use Form 1 (below).
- If you have not been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, use Form 2 (below)
- If you have been taught by an authorized Christian Science teacher, but your teacher will not be signing your application, use the Online Form.
Print the form
- Download and print the correct form below. The form is two pages; feel free to print it double-sided on a single sheet.
- If you prefer to use the online application, you will still need to print the form once completed, and mail it to the Office of the Clerk.
- To receive an application by mail, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-617-450-3481.
Complete the form
- Sign your name to the Tenets.
- Complete the name and address section—please write legibly.
- Have the appropriate Church members approve and/or countersign the form. The countersigner must be a teacher of Christian Science (C.S.B.) authorized by the Board of Education.
- If you are under legal age in your country, ask a parent or guardian to sign the permission section of the form.
Get approval signatures
- Form 1: Your teacher will sign the application and send it to the Clerk of The Mother Church. NOTE: No additional signature is required.
- Form 2: A member of The Mother Church must approve the application and sign the form, then the member will give your application to a Christian Science teacher to countersign and send to the Clerk of The Mother Church. NOTE: If a Christian Science teacher signs as the member, there is no need for an additional signature.
- Special Form: Note: The special form should be signed in compliance with the Church Manual By-Law Article V, Section 4, Exceptional Cases.
Mail the form to the following address:
The First Church of Christ, Scientist Membership, P06-10
210 Massachusetts Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-3195
After we receive the form
- We will send you an email or a letter letting you know we have received your application.
- If the application is incomplete, we will write to let you know what is missing.
- There have been instances when mail has been delayed or lost. If you have submitted an application but have not heard from us within a month, please follow up to be sure we have received it.
- If you move after you send in your application but before you are admitted, please email email@example.com.
Dear Fellow Members of The Mother Church,
It is a special privilege, as the first Australian President of The Mother Church, to be writing to you with assurance of our gratitude and love. My appointment not only recognizes the Australian Field but also the loving embrace of The Mother Church for the whole world. The power of this love overcomes the tyranny of distance and unites us all in our love for God and the revelation of Christian Science.
This year marks the 150th anniversary of the discovery of Christian Science by Mary Baker Eddy. Following this momentous event, came the equally major challenge of communicating to the world the full import of her discovery. She writes, “When God called the author to proclaim His Gospel to this age, there came also the charge to plant and water His vineyard” (Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p. xi). What a task she had before her! The evidence that she fulfilled her duty to God and to her fellow man lies in the continuing existence not only of The Mother Church, but also its worldwide branch churches.
Healing is the key to the universal outreach of this Church, which is designed to meet the needs of the world. Every member is indispensable for the continuance of its healing mission. It does not matter where you are serving the Cause of Christian Science, whether in a branch church, a Christian Science society, or even as a single member unable to reach a church—the universal expression of the love of The Mother Church is present where you are. No member needs to feel alone in this great work of bringing the light of the Christ to mankind.
As each member nurtures this light within consciousness, it blesses, unifies and invigorates The Mother Church as well as the branches. This enlightened consciousness, filled with love and on fire with the understanding of the allness of God and of man’s indestructible relationship with Him, is the healing power of this world-wide movement.
We are deeply grateful for your financial contributions this year. Through your generosity, vitalManual activities, such as training and preparing Christian Science teachers and lecturers, publishing and translating Mary Baker Eddy’s writings, and your subscriptions to the Bible Lessons,The Christian Science Journal, Sentinel, Herald and Monitor, are fulfilling “the charge to plant and water His vineyard.”
This new year provides the opportunity to celebrate together the light that Mary Baker Eddy’s discovery has brought into our lives and to the world. Through our love for each other and for mankind we continue to build on the foundation of Christ-healing that she explained and demonstrated so clearly for this age.
With love and gratitude,
Beverley Beddoes-Mills, President
You'll find application forms for advertising in The Christian Science Journal in the accordion below. Forms are in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish. The non-English forms serve the dual purpose of an application for advertising in the Journal and The Heralds of Christian Science. To submit the form electronically, download and save it to your computer. Once the form has been saved to your computer, you can reopen it whenever you like, completing the fields, saving it each time you close out. When it's completed, email it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, or print it out and return by mail. The mailing address is on the last page of the form.
To us, the application process has less to do with filling out a form, and so much more to do with preparation of the heart. You may have questions, and if you do, please be in touch with us at email@example.com. When you're ready to move forward, we'll be delighted to receive your application. Once we've received your application, our manager of Christian Science Practitioner Activities, Connie Coddington, will send you a follow-up e-mail, highlighting some of the Manual by-laws that practitioners have found indispensable to their healing ministry. Soon thereafter, she'll set up a telephone interview in order to get to know you and your sense of the healing practice of Christian Science. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd be happy to hear from you!
If you'd like to submit an application to advertise in The Christian Science Journal as a Christian Science practitioner, please complete one of the forms below.
You'll find application forms for advertising in The Christian Science Journal in the accordion below. Forms are in English, French, German, Portuguese, and Spanish. The non-English forms serve the dual purpose of an application for advertising in the Journal and The Heralds of Christian Science. To submit the form electronically, download and save it to your computer. Once the form has been saved to your computer, you can reopen it whenever you like, completing the fields, saving it each time you close out. When it's completed, email it as an attachment to email@example.com, or print it out and return by mail. The mailing address is on the last page of the form.
To us, the application process has less to do with filling out a form, and so much more to do with preparation of the heart. Of utmost importance is your receptivity to Truth and Love and your readiness to demonstrate the whole By-Law for the Christian Science nurse. "As Christian Scientists you seek to define God to your own consciousness by feeling and applying the nature and practical possibilities of divine Love: to gain the absolute and supreme certainty that Christianity is now what Christ Jesus taught and demonstrated — health, holiness, immortality." (Mary Baker Eddy, Message for 1901, p. 1)
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd be happy to hear from you!
If you'd like to submit an application to advertise in The Christian Science Journal as a Christian Science nurse, please complete one of the forms below.
- Step 1: Open and save form to your computer.
- Step 2: Complete form and save again.
- Step 3: Submit as email attachment to email@example.com [or print it out and return by mail].
As Mother Church employees have traveled the world meeting with members, one interesting thing they’ve learned is that in some countries people may be asked to provide evidence of baptism in order to participate in certain public activities, such as voting or school attendance. Since baptism has an important and specific meaning to the teachings of Christian Science, we've offered an example of such a statement below.
—Suzanne Riedel, Clerk of The Mother Church
To get a form
If your branch church or society wants a form without a Cross and Crown, please use the copy at the bottom to create the form.
If your branch church wants a form with the Cross and Crown on it, email Trademark@csps.com. Forms are available in English, French, German, Spanish, and Portuguese. You are free to make minor edits. If you make significant changes, please send the final version to Trademark@csps.com for review. The Mother Church needs to know how the Cross and Crown is being used as it is a Church trademark.
Sample with Cross and Crown (copy is below)
Statement of baptism
PEOPLE PRACTICE BAPTISM in many ways. The outward symbol of immersion in water tells of an inward desire for purification. Christian Scientists emphasize the meaning behind a Christian symbol more than the outward practice of a symbolic act. They practice baptism daily by studying the Word of God and living their lives in a way that give evidence they are being bathed in Spirit and thus cleansed of sin.
I state that I, [name], have accepted baptism as taught and practiced by Christian Science.
I state that, [name of clerk of branch church or society[, has acknowledged my acceptance of baptism as defined in the Christian Science textbook:
“Purification by Spirit; submergence in Spirit.”
(Mary Baker Eddy, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p. 581).
Signed, [clerk of the branch church or society]